Availability: In Stock

Rev War Fowler – Pvt Thomas Poindexter Virginia Militia

English Flintlock Fowler with Thomas Ketland & Co. lock. These early fowlers were made by Ketland and other gunsmiths using Ketland locks and barrels marked London before the Rev War. They were imported / sold by merchants in Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston and other seaport towns along the Atlantic coast. This beautiful fowler is stocked in English walnut with a decorative brass trigger guard, buttplate, sideplate, and other brass hardware. Very nice original fowler. Mr Yost purchased the fowler from the Poindexter Family in Lousia County, Virginia and they reported its history as being carried during the Rev War by Thomas P. Poindexter, Jr. who had gotten the fowler from his father when he joined the Louisa County Militia in 1776 thus it shows signs of being used during the Rev War. It is in untouched condition and comes with great Rev War family history.

Thomas, Jr was the son of Thomas, Sr who was a merchant supplying goods to the colonial Rev War efforts from Louisa County, Virginia.


This fowler descended from Thomas P. Poindextert, Jr  through his family to the collection of Mr Yost, Albemarle County, VA and was purchased from Mr Yost’s daughter.

Thomas P. Poindexter Jr.

(25 May 1759 Louisa County, Virginia – 10 Apr 1843  in Louisa County, Virginia)

Married Sally Ragland. Applied for his Revolutionary pension.  From Louisa Co, VA, Served In Revolutionary War under Col. Stubblefield, Capt Saunders, Capt Jack White and Col. Ennis. His younger brother James testified on his behalf. The widow Sally received his pension after his death.

“History of Albemarle Co VA” states that in 1823 Mr. Hazelwood Farish of Albemarle sold to Thomas Poindexter Jr. the stock and equipment of a Stage line running through Charlottesville.


Pension Application of Thomas P Poindexter, Jr W5556
Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris
State of Virginia
Louisa County Sct.

On this 15 day of June 1837 personally appeared before the Subscriber a Justiceth
of the peace, and a Judge of the Court of the said County (being a court of record) Thomas
P. Poindexter, Jr. a resident of the County aforesaid and state of Virginia aged seventy seven years,
who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in
order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7
That he was born on the 25 day of May 1760 and was enlisted in the Militia, say in Mayth
1776. That in the latter part of the summer he substituted himself for one George Crank since
dead, and marched from the County of Louisa to Williamsburg, and was put under the command
of Genl. [Thomas] Nelson. Nothing remarkable happened in the army while he performed this
tour of duty as Dunmore [the Royal Governor, on 7 Aug 1776] had left the Capital and the state,
and there was no enemy within it’s teritory. And that he served to the best of his belief two
months as private in the militia, and was discharged. That he does not recollect the given names
of the officers of the company, under whom he served, as they lived in a different part of his
county, and were strangers to him, but to the best of his recollection the Capt. name was
Saunders [possibly John Sanders], and the Lieut Johnsen [Johnson]. the ensign he has forgotten
nor is he able to recollect any person who served with him who is now alive. Nor is this
remarkable, as he has not been able to do his own business for ten years, and no man could
have served this tour with him, being of lawful age for military duty, and still surviving, under
77 years of age. He distinctly remembers Gen’l. Nelson, and his personal appearance, but
recollects no inferior officer. His regiment was stationed under a grove, and he thinks there was
another regiment quartered in Barracks but he does not recollect anything of them and there
were no regulars. That in his next tour he was drafted and marched in the early part of the
summer of 1780, as private in the militia of the same county to the south. In this tour the
officers were his friends, and he continued acquainted with them until their death. [John] Byars
was Captain, [Thomas] Shelton Lieutenant and [Anthony] Winston ensign. Marched from his own
County under the command of Byars, by Carter’s Ville [probably Cartersville in Cum berland
County], Prince Edward C[ourt]t. H[ous]e. to Hillsborough in North Carolina where he thinks he
joined the Virginia Regiments, and were put under the command of Colo [George] Stubblefield of
Spotsylvania Va. The M ajor’s name was [W illiam] Boyce or Glenn [Lt. Col. John Glenn] to the best
of his belief. remained sometime at Hillsborough and was thence marched to join [Gen. Horatio]
Gates. That during the march they suffered much from fatigue and want of provisions. They
marched from 4 OC [o’clock] in the morning till 12 OC at night with an interval of short duration
for dinner, (if they could procure provisions) and those were mostly unripe fruit and green corn,
which the country afforded. Were detained at Deep River for several days by high water, and
while there he and a fellow soldier named Hogan who was killed at Camden, swam the river to
get some unripe peaches from an orchard on the other side. Joined Gates’ army at Rugeley’s Mill
[about 12 mi N of Camden SC] about 10 OC A.M. [15 Aug 1780] and at about 10 at night they got
under way with the purpose of surprising Cornwallis in Camden, as was said. About 11 or 12 OC
the advance guard of the two armies met, and he heard firing. The Armies then drew off, and
after the orders were given they were directed to repose themselves on their arms. Before they
went to sleep, the army were marched out of the road and were formed. As it happened that he
stood within a few yards of Col Stubblefield when Gen’l. Gates rode up to him and gave orders
that the men should not fire until they were ordered by the commanding officer, and then
directed the Col. that the army should continue to advance until they got within fifteen steps
when they should fire once and charge. He considered these most indescreet orders, particularly
as the militia had joined the army so lately, and many of the men had no bayonetts. He was
stationed in his company in the extreme left, and in the twilight of the morning, he saw the
enemy advancing through the open pine wood, in which they were stationed in very open order,

being obliged to extend their line to make it as long as the American. When at about one
hundred yards, the enemy fired a round and the line immediately halted, nor were they ordered
again to advance, or indeed to do anything else. The enemy advanced rapidly about twenty yards
and fired again, and had advanced, and were again about to fire, when he heard a single shot on
the extreme right, and the line commenced to scattering fire. He fired, and immediately
discovered the line was broken and the men flying. Col Stubblefield with much passion and
many curses attempted to stop them, but finding it impossible to do so, he desisted, and
ordered them to shift for themselves. He fled and in his retreat picked up a very fine Bayonette
and carried it off with him. In a peach Orchard near the Battle ground he met with about seventy
men with Colo [Holt] Richardson of Caroline [County VA] who took charge of the men and
conducted them to Hillsborough, whither they had been ordered to rendezvous by Stubblefield
when he told them to retreat. At that place he met with his Col and the regiment and after
continuing there some time, he was permitted by his officers to return home, as they despaired
of being able to reorganize the army to do any service. And that in this tour he is well assured
that he served at least two months as a private in the militia. He saw the Army only on the day
they joined, and therefor he remembers no other troops, regular or militia except Richardsons
regiment from Caroline. That in his next tour he was drafted, and marched as a private in the
militia from the same county in a company commanded by James Watson he thinks. But in this
tour again the officers were strangers and he does not distinctly recollect them – joined the
army under the Marquiss Lafayette [M arquis de Lafayette] at Richmond in the early part of the
spring of 1781. He remembers that Colo Richardson was again in the service, but does not
recollect that he was his Colo or who was, but [Thomas] Armistead was Major. Cornwallis was on
the south side of the James River and the Marquiss was watching his movements. He marched
down the river from Richmond, served sometim e, at Malvern Hills [in Henrico County], Fourmile
Creek [in Henrico County] and Chickahominy. Returned to Richmond and arrived there a few
hours before Cornwallis got to Manchester [across the James River from Richmond] – remained
there about two days, when the Marquiss marched up the Fredericksburg road to Rossin’s[?]
then took the Groundsqirrel road [Ground Squirrel Road near South Anna River], spent the
remainder of that day in the woods four or five miles above, and in the night marched across to
the Old Mountain Road [along present US 33], and the next day to Dandridge’s [probably in
Hanover County] where he was discharged. And that to the best of knowledge and belief he
served in this tour three months as private in the militia. He saw the Marquiss and recollects his
person, and remembers that there were several Militia regiments in the army, but he cannot now
describe them and recollects no regular troops. And that in his last tour he was drafted; and
marched in the latter part of the summer of the same year as private in the militia of the same
county, in a Company commanded by Capt. White, Johnson Lieut. and Terrell [possibly Thomas
Terrill] he thinks Ensign to Glocester [sic: Gloucester] Court House and was put he thinks, under
the Command of Colo Ennis [sic: James Innis]. W as stationed at that place and employed in
checking the foraging parties from the British at Glocester Town, until Gen’l. Washington
attacked the enemy at Pigeon Hill, when they marched down to Sowell’s old Field and was put
under the com mand of Gen’l. [George] Weedon. Remained watching the enem y at that place
where they were joined by some very fine French troops until Washington’s army took the
redoubts, at which time they marched down and drove in an enemy’s picquite [picquet]. And
that he continued to serve at that place until the enemy surrendered [19 Oct 1781] and the
property was all secured, when he was discharged. And that in this tour he served at least two
months as private in the militia. That in relation to his first tour of service he can only procure
the testimony of James Poindexter, as he knows no one who was in the service now alive. That
his other tours he will be able to prove by the testimony of W itnesses who were with him in
service. And that he has no documentary evidence. That more than ten years ago he was struck
with a suralitic stroke, which has recurred as often as three times, with such violence as to cause
his life to be despaired of each time. That this as well as old age has much injured the tenacity
of his memory so that many parts of transactions which he recollects, has escaped his memory.
That this circum stance has prevented him heretofore from claiming the benefit of the Act of
Congress, and now it is owing to the intervention of his friends, that he is enabled to present his
claim. And that the same circumstance has always prevented and will continue to prevent his

attending the court of his county. And that he refers to Richmond Terrill Esq. Doc’r. James M
M orris, Gen. Wm F Gordon and the Hon. Philip P Barbour, for his character for veracity, and the
reputation of the neighbourhood as to his services in the War of the Revolution.
To the first Question he replies I was born on the waters of Elk Creek in the county of
Louisa on the 25 day of May 1760th
To the second I have no record of my age
To the Third W hen called into service I was living at the place where I was born. Since
the war I have lived a short time in Kentucky, and since in the neigh’d of
the green springs in the County of Louisa
To the Fourth In my first tour I was substitute for George Crank afterwards drafted
To the Fifth The fifth question was answered to my satisfaction
To the Sixth I never did receive a written discharge for any services rendered by me in
the arm y
To the Seventh Richmond Terrill, Doct’r. James M. Morris Gen’l. W. F. Gordon, Judge
Philip P. Barbour Thos. Diggs[?] and others
Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid [signed] Thos. Poindexter
Virginia, Louisa County Sct
on this 14 day of Aug’t 1837 personally appeared before me a justice of the peace inth
and for said County James Poindexter, a resident of said County, aged Seventy two years, and a
credible person, and made oath. That he was born, by his father’s register, on the 5 day of Juneth
1765. That he recollects distinctly, that in the early part of the revolutionary W ar, when he was
he supposes about eleven or twelve years of age, his elder Brother Thomas who is now applying
for a pension, went into the service as a militiaman. he remembers his firing himself to go, and
that he did go and was absent for some time from home. and that he moreover remembers that
his said brother, at a subsequent period went again into the service and marched to the South at
the time of Gates’ defeat. These things are forcibly impressed on his memory from their living
together, and his being very much distressed, at his brother being carried from home and into
danger. [signed] James Poindexter
Virginia Louisa County Sct
On this 10 day of July 1837 personally appeared before the subscriber a justice of theth
peace in and for the County aforesaid Nathaniel Snelson [pension application W6135] a resident
of said county aged 74 years and as appears to me a credible person and made oath That in the
war of the Revolution Thomas Poindexter now of the Green Springs in Louisa served the Tour to
the south in the militia of that county with him. That they marched together from Louisa in a
company of which Byars was captain Shelton Lieut and W insten was Ensign. Were present
together at Gates’ defeat, and afterwards at Hillsborough together for some weeks, and then
both as he believes recieved furloughs at the same time, and returned together to their own
Sworn and subscribed the day and year aforesaid Nathaniel hisXmark Snelson
Virginia Louisa county Sct.
On this 29 day of July 1837 personally appeared before the subscriber a justice of theth
peace in and for the county aforesaid Thomas Bibb [pension application S9100] a resident of
said county aged about 83 or 4 years, and as appears to me a credible person and made oath,
That Thomas Poindexter at present a resident of the Green Springs in the County of Louisa
served a tour of du[ty] with him in the Militia from the said county of Louisa un[der] Capt James
W atson during the Revolutionary War in and about & below the City of Richmond Virginia. The
year is not recollected, nor the season of the year but he thinks it was upon the borders of Warm
weather. That the said Poindex[ter] went into service with him & was discharged with him he is
fully sensible. And that he is of opinion from what he now can recollect the said Poindexter
faithfully served out his tour of duty Thomas hisXmark Bibb

Virginia Louisa County Sc
On this 28 day of August 1837 personally appeared before the subscriber a justice ofth
the peace in and for the said county, Nelson Harris a resident of the county aforesaid, aged
seventy nine years and a credible person, and made oath, that he lived in the same
neighbourhood with Thomas Poindexter of the Green Springs in the said county, for the space of
three years & knew him intimately in his youth. That he remembers that said Poindexter was
several times in the service in the Militia in the revolution, and on one occasion at least was a
substitute for some one whom he has now forgotten, and that he served a tour with said
Poindexter at the seige of York, marched under Jack W hite, he thinks captain, who returned
home and then were put under another captain, whose name he has forgotten. After their
discharge he recollects that on their return in company they were compelled to shoot a hog, for
provision, having no money to purchase it. given under my hand the date above written
[signed] Nelson Harris
NOTE: On 3 Nov 1846 Sally Poindexter, 77, applied for a pension stating that she married
Thomas Poindexter on 28 Mar 1790, and he died 10 Apr 1843. In the file is a copy of the return
of Rev. John Lasley for the marriage of Thomas Poindexter and Sarah Ragland on 18 Mar 1790.
The file also contains a copy of a bond signed 24 M ar 1790 by Thomas Poindexter and John
M ichie for the marriage of Poindexter to Sarah Ragland. Her application for bounty land dated 12
M ar 1855 appears to spell her maiden name as Reegland, and it states that she was married by
John Lastley on 18 M ar 1790. Other docum ents state that their first child was named Lucy, and a
son, Edward, was living in Louisa County in 1846.



There are no reviews yet.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Product has been added to cart

View Cart